General rules for diesel generator set installation
Once the generator set volume and associated control system or distribution system has been determined, the installation plan can be made. This chapter discuss important elements of effective and safe installation.
If the generator set is fitted with a shell, it is easy to install and carry it. Our company provide two basic types of housing for generator sets. The first is a tight sky-cover shell. It can be weatherproof and soundproof. The other is large enough for human being entering, similar to shipping containers, it also has weatherproof and soundproof function. These shells provide convenience and ease of installation for shipping, and also provide protection against incomprehensible people moving machines. When locking the casing door, make sure that there is no one inside the shell.
Moving generator set
The base of a generator set is specially designed for easy handling. Improper handling can seriously damage the parts of the generator set. Use the lift forklift to lift the generator set carefully or focus on the under frame for careful sh or pull. If you need to push the genset, do not push the machine directly with a fork. Be sure to place wood between the fork and the rack to prevent bruising and dispersing the weight. If the generator set is to be carried frequently, the oil-filled slide rail can be installed on the rack, which will provide forklift grooves as well as suspension, and smaller models have recesses for lifting forklifts on the chassis.
1. Do not lift generator sets with the rings of engines or alternators.
2. Check that the suspension equipment and the supporting hand are in good condition and that the load of the hanging equipment is appropriate.
3. When the machine is hoisted, no one should come near. If the genset is allowed to be hoisted, a single point suspension device should be installed, and the standard machine with sky cover already has this single point suspension device. If the motor group is hoisted for installation, the hoisting hole in the chassis is for the purpose of hoisting the genset. Once connected, check to see if there is a tight hang, cracks in the weld, tightening of screws, etc., and need to use a crossbar to protect the machine from bumping and hoisting at the center of gravity (closer to the generator ) rather than the center of the whole machine. Only in this way can we hoist vertically. Once the machine is off the ground, use a guide cable to prevent rope kink or machine wobble. When the wind is strong, do not hoist, the machine should be put down in a flat place and can support the weight of the generator set.
Installation location of diesel generator set
Choosing a good place to install a generator is essential in all steps of installation. The following factors are important for site selection.
1. Be well ventilated.
2. Protect parts from rain, water, snow, hail, flood, direct sunlight, freezing temperature or overheating.
3. Do not expose the machine to contaminated air, such a ground dust, metal dust, fiber dust, smoke, fume, evaporate gas, acid, alkali, corrosive air, engine smoke or other pollution.
4. Install generators in places where trees, poles, or because of a vehicle, a crane fall, do not fall.
5. There should be space around the generator, one for cooling, the other for easy maintenance, at least 2 meters around without other objects.
6. There should be access to the installation room and air access should be easy to load and unload for use as a handling port.
7. Non-managers are restricted from entering the computer room.
8. If the generator must be installed outside the building, it needs to be equipped with a full-weather shell or container. This type of housing is very useful for generator set that need to be temporarily installed inside or outside the building.
Base shock absorber
A rigid underframe is used to install the alternator and the engine accurately, so it is only necessary to fix the machine with screws on the basis of a good one.
Foundation: The best foundation is to build a reinforced concrete to install the generator. The foundation provides a rigid support to the generator set to prevent wobble and vibration. Standard cement block thick I50mm-200mm (6-8 inches), no smaller than generator chassis. The floor or floor below the base plate should be arranged in advance so that it supports the foundation plate plus the weight of the generator set. If the generator st is installed to tbe installed in a building above the ground floor, the structure must be capable of bearing the weight of the generator set and the fuel and accessories in reserve, etc. Buildings must conform to local building regulations. If the floor is often wet, the foundation must be higher than the floor. This provides a place for generator set to connect, repair and maintain, and minimize the corrosion of metal on the underframe.
Shock absorption: In order to minimize the transmission of vibration to the building, the generator set is provided with a shock absorber between the engine and alternator foot and the underframe. This allows the underframe to be fixed directly on the base. For large generators, the generator and alternator is rigidly fixed to the underframe, with shock absorbers attached for the user to install between the rack and the foundation. In any case, the generator should be securely tied to the ground to prevent movement. The external connection of this machine needs to be connected with shock absorber, such as flexible fuel pipe, exhaust pipe, flexible interface of exhaust pipe, wire hose and other connection supporting system, etc. The air from the engine’s intake to fuel the engine must be clean and as low as possible. Normally, it is filtered around the diesel generator through an air filter mounted on the engine.
However, sometimes the air near the generator set is not suitable for use because of dust, heat, etc., it is necessary to extract the clean air from the outside of the building. When extracting from anther room, do not remove that air filter and install it in the distance. It is easy to get dirt into the engine. If to do so, use an air input device approved by the manufacturer, otherwise it will bring adverse effect to the operation of the generator set.
The purpose of diesel engine smoke exhaust system is to release smoke or odors which can cause harm to human body to a certain height outdoors and to reduce noise. A suitable silence compatible with the exhaust pipe is used to reduce noise and can be installed indoors or outdoors.
! All household-mounted generating set must use a leakless exhaust pipe to discharge the exhaust air outdoors and the exhaust pipe shall be installed in accordance with the relevant specifications, standards and other requirements.
! Endure that hot exhaust silencers and exhaust pipes are kept away from flammable substances.
! Ensure that emitted smoke does not become a public hazard.
When designing a smoke exhaust system, the most basic consideration is that the reverse pressure should not exceed the allowable range. Because excessive reverse pressure will greatly reduce engine efficiency, durability, and a serious increase in fuel consumption. To reduce backpressure, the exhaust pipe should be designed as short as possible. If necessary, the curved diameter must be at least 15 times the inner diameter of the pipe. The design of more than 3m shall be subject to the consent of the manufacturer.
Other emission system design standards are as follow:
1. Add exhaust hose to the connection between exhaust outlet and exhaust pipe of diesel generator. Its function is to reduce the vibration produced by the engine and transmit it to the exhaust air and building, allowing the exhaust pipe to expand due to heat and a little angle deviation when installed.
2. Make sure that mufflers and pipes are installed without breaking or leaking due to tension.
3. The original parts of the indoor exhaust system shall be insulated to reduce heat emission and noise. Tubes and silencers, whether indoors or outdoors, should be kept away from flammable substances.
4. Any long horizontal or vertical exhaust pipe should be slanted and fitted with a drain valve at the lowest point to prevent water from flowing into the engine and silencer.
5. When pipes pass through walls, there should be a casing for shock absorption, and flammable substances should be kept away from these hot pipes, and expansion tubes to heat expansion longitudinally.
6. The outstretched end of the exhaust pipe, if the cut is horizontal, cut to 60 degrees, such as vertical installation of a rain cap to prevent rain and snow into the smoke exhaust system.
7. Exhaust pipes may not be connected to additional diesel generator exhaust pipes or other smoke pipes, such as stoves or boilers.